CLARKSVILLE MALE AND FEMALE ACADEMY
CLARKSVILLE MALE AND FEMALE ACADEMY. Clarksville Male and Female Academy originated in 1847 as Clarksville Male Academy, with A. J. Russell as superintendent. John Anderson, a Scottish Presbyterian minister, later became president and served for almost twenty years. Soon after the beginning of his presidency the name of the school was changed to Clarksville Classical, Mathematical, and Mercantile Academy. In 1854 Mrs. Eliza A. Todd's school, Clarksville Female Institute, was bought and consolidated with the Anderson school to form Clarksville Male and Female Academy. The school continued to function during the Civil War but closed in 1867.
B. E. Masters, A History of Early Education in Northeast Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1929).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CLARKSVILLE MALE AND FEMALE ACADEMY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbc27), accessed September 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.