CHRISTOPHER COLLEGE OF CORPUS CHRISTI
CHRISTOPHER COLLEGE OF CORPUS CHRISTI. Christopher College of Corpus Christi was first organized in 1957 as Mary Immaculate Teacher Training Institute, an affiliate of the Catholic University of America. Christopher College was governed by the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament, and its primary purpose was to furnish education for aspirants to the order. In January 1958 the institute was chartered by the state of Texas; classes began at Incarnate Word Academy. Shortly afterwards the institute began admitting nonmembers of the order to its classes, and in 1961 its name was shortened to Mary Immaculate College. A growing, more heterogeneous student body and a shortage of space led to a complete reassessment of the college in 1964. The following year the institution was reorganized as a junior college and in August 1965 was renamed Christopher College of Corpus Christi. In 1967 the coeducational college offered an associate of arts degree and was a member of the Southern Association of Junior Colleges, the American Association of Junior Colleges, and the Association of Texas Colleges and Universities. Because of inadequate financial support the college was closed on August 31, 1968.
Donald W. Whisenhunt, The Encyclopedia of Texas Colleges and Universities (Austin: Eakin, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CHRISTOPHER COLLEGE OF CORPUS CHRISTI," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbc20), accessed July 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.