CENTENNIAL INSTITUTE. Centennial Institute, at Cannon, was a private school that operated for twelve years. It was established by John A. and Joseph L. Cobb, L. H. Scruggs, and Julia Benson in the winter of 1876–77. Later the Mason and Eastern Star chapters used the building for meetings and renamed it Centennial Masonic Lodge No. 500. The building burned in 1888 and was never rebuilt.
Dallas Morning News, November 10, 1936. Graham Landrum and Allen Smith, Grayson County (Fort Worth, 1960; 2d ed., Fort Worth: Historical Publishers, 1967). Mattie D. Lucas and Mita H. Hall, A History of Grayson County (Sherman, Texas, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.John G. Johnson, "CENTENNIAL INSTITUTE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbc08), accessed October 13, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.