ANNA JUDSON FEMALE INSTITUTE
ANNA JUDSON FEMALE INSTITUTE. Anna Judson Female Institute opened at Starrville in northern Smith County in 1860. The school, founded by the Bethel Baptist Church, had forty-three students that year. Levi Wilcoxen served as principal of the literary department, and Sallie A. McGilvary, his cousin, assisted him. J. B. Norman was principal of the music department. The school failed during the Civil War, but perhaps not before 1864.
Vicki Betts, Smith County, Texas, in the Civil War (Tyler, Texas: Smith County Historical Society, 1978). Donald W. Whisenhunt, comp., Chronological History of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Smith County Historical Society, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "ANNA JUDSON FEMALE INSTITUTE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kba12), accessed March 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.