ANDREW FEMALE COLLEGE
ANDREW FEMALE COLLEGE. Andrew Female College, at Huntsville, was founded in 1852 and chartered on February 7, 1853, by the Texas Conference of Methodist Churches. The institution was named for Bishop James Osgood Andrew, and the first president was James M. Follansbee. Among the original trustees were Charles G. Keenan, Henderson Yoakum, and Daniel Baker;qqv Tom H. Ballqv was an early president of the school. The college was erected on the site of present Huntsville High School. Andrew Female College provided young women a classical education and classes in music, art, and embroidery. The college closed in 1879, and the building was moved to house a school for black children.
D'Anne McAdams Crews, ed., Huntsville and Walker County, Texas: A Bicentennial History (Huntsville, Texas: Sam Houston State University, 1976). Hans Peter Nielsen Gammel, comp., Laws of Texas, 1822–1897 (10 vols., Austin: Gammel, 1898).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."ANDREW FEMALE COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kba11), accessed April 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.