ASSOCIATION OF TEXAS COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES
ASSOCIATION OF TEXAS COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES. In November 1916 the former college section of the Texas State Teachers Association was reorganized as the Association of Texas Colleges in order to provide for duly accredited representation of participating members. C. A. Nichols, of Southwestern University, was the first president. In the 1960s the organization changed its name to Association of Texas Colleges and Universities and relinquished its power to accredit colleges. One of the major goals of the association is the promotion of the needs and benefits of higher education to the general public. The group also serves as a forum for communication among college presidents. The charter prohibits the group from engaging in political lobbying. To join, a school must be fully accredited by the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Affiliate memberships are available to schools classified by the Southern Association as candidates for accreditation. In 1994 the Association of Texas Colleges and Universities had 121 members, representing independent, public senior, community, and public technical colleges. Members meet annually. The association elects a president, a vice president, and a board of directors. The board has six members elected at large for three-year terms and representatives from the Independent Colleges and Universities of Texas, the Texas Association of Community Colleges, and the Council of Public University Presidents and Chancellors. Funds are obtained through membership dues, which are calculated by a school's enrollment.
Thomas Ferguson, The Association of Texas Colleges (Durham, North Carolina, 1945). Proceedings of the Association of Texas Colleges and Universities Annual Meeting, 1983.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Tracé Etienne-Gray, "ASSOCIATION OF TEXAS COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kaa04), accessed August 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.