While our physical offices are closed until at least April 13 due Austin's COVID-19 "shelter-in-place" order, the Handbook of Texas will remain available at no-cost for you, your fellow history enthusiasts, and all Texas students currently mandated to study from home. If you have the capacity to help us maintain our online Texas history resources during these uncertain times, please consider making a 100% tax-deductible contribution today. Thank you for your support of TSHA and Texas history. Donate Today »


Thomas H. Thompson

BOYCE-SNEED FEUD. In October 1911, John Beal Sneed, the son of Joseph Tyre Sneed, Sr., placed his wife of twelve years, Lenora (Lena) Snyder Sneed, in Arlington Heights Sanitarium in Fort Worth after Lena confessed her infatuation with Al Boyce, Jr., to him. Sneed and Boyce had vied for Lena's affection when all three were students at Southwestern University in Georgetown. Sneed's action set off a bizarre series of events that symbolized the tenacity of frontier justice in West Texas in the early twentieth century. Less than a month after her incarceration, with the aid of Al Boyce, Lena escaped from the sanitarium and the pair eloped to Canada. Discovered in Winnipeg, Canada, the two were arrested by the authorities, who released Lena into the custody of her husband and her father, Tom Snyder. Initially, Lena returned to Clayton, New Mexico, with her father. She later returned to her husband. After abduction charges against Boyce were dismissed by a Fort Worth court in early January 1912, Sneed fatally shot Boyce's father, Albert G. Boyce, Sr., alleging that the man had assisted his son in breaking up Sneed's home. Sneed's murder trial generated intense interest all over the United States and parts of Canada. Newspapers carried the day-by-day developments. In Fort Worth, the trial produced controversy that led to violence. Four men were killed outside the courthouse, and women fought with hatpins in the courthouse halls and even in the courtroom. After failing to reach a verdict, the jury was dismissed and a mistrial was declared. The jury was split 7 to 5 for acquittal. After the murder of his father in March by a tenant farmer believed to be associated with the Boyces, Beal Sneed shot and killed Al Boyce, Jr., as Boyce was walking in front of Polk Street Methodist Church in Amarillo. Sneed had lain in wait for two weeks in a cottage across from the church, waiting to catch Boyce unaccompanied by his brother Lynn. After firing three blasts of his twelve-gauge shotgun into Boyce, Sneed walked to the courthouse and surrendered himself and his weapon to the Potter County sheriff. Juries acquitted Sneed for both murders, declaring that they were justifiable homicides. A flood of congratulatory letters and telegrams greeted news of the verdicts. But reporters from papers outside of Texas regarded the shootings as cold-blooded murder. When reporters demanded a reason for the acquittal in the murder of Al Boyce, Jr., the jury foreman, James D. Crane, responded by saying, "The best answer is because this is Texas. We believe in Texas a man has the right and the obligation to safeguard the honor of his home, even if he must kill the person responsible."

Sneed, reunited with Lena, moved to Paducah, where he owned a ranch and a cotton farm. He also engaged in land speculation that resulted in further troubles for him. In October 1922, a federal court found him guilty of bribing a juror in a lawsuit concerning a land deal. Judge James C. Wilson sentenced Sneed to two years in Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary. In Sneed's absence, C. B. Berry, a Paducah groceryman and cotton raiser, shot and killed Wood Barton, Sneed's son-in-law, over a money dispute. Sneed, out of prison and dissatisfied with Berry's acquittal, retaliated by shooting Berry five times. Amazingly, Berry survived. Berry then responded by attempting to kill Sneed. Both men were found not guilty at their trials. Despite the acquittal, the Sneeds had worn out their welcome in Paducah, and their fortunes were low when they moved to Dallas. But Sneed recovered by investing in the East Texas oilfield. He and Lena lived in style in Dallas for more than thirty years. Sneed died of bone cancer on April 22, 1960. Lena died of heart failure on March 6, 1966. They are buried side by side in Hillcrest Cemetery in North Dallas.

Dallas Morning News, January 14, February 8, 1912.

Image Use Disclaimer

All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.

For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.


The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Handbook of Texas Online, Thomas H. Thompson, "BOYCE-SNEED FEUD," accessed April 05, 2020, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/jcb02.

Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
visit the mytsha forums to participate

View these posts and more when you register your free MyTSHA account.

Call for Papers: Texas Center for Working-Class Studies Events, Symposia, and Workshops
Hi all! You may be interested in this call for papers I received from the Texas Center for Working-Class Studies at Collin College...

Katy Jennings' Ride Scholarly Research Request
I'm doing research on Catherine Jennings Lockwood, specifically the incident known as "Katy Jennings' Ride." Her father was Gordon C. Jennings, the oldest man to die at the Alamo...

Texas Constitution of 1836 Co-Author- Elisha Pease? Ask a Historian
The TSHA profile of Elisha Marshall Pease states that he wrote part of the Texas Constitution although he was only a 24 year-old assistant secretary (not elected). I cannot find any other mention of this authorship work by Pease in other credible research about the credited Constution authors...