LAMAR FEMALE SEMINARY
LAMAR FEMALE SEMINARY. In 1866 O. P. Stark, a Presbyterian missionary to the Choctaw Indians, moved to Paris, Texas, and opened the Lamar Female Seminary. Departments of the school included elementary, academic, collegiate, music, art, science and philosophy. At one time the school had five instructors. A charter was granted in May 1871. Stark operated the school until 1880, when he returned to Indian Territory. The school closed shortly after his departure.
A. W. Neville, The History of Lamar County, Texas (Paris, Texas: North Texas, 1937; rpt. 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Louise Kelly, "LAMAR FEMALE SEMINARY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/iwl01), accessed October 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.