EPISCOPAL THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY OF THE SOUTHWEST
EPISCOPAL THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY OF THE SOUTHWEST. The Episcopal Theological Seminary of the Southwest was begun in Austin by John E. Hines, coadjutor bishop of the Diocese of Texas, because the established theological seminaries of the Protestant Episcopal Church were unable to enroll all of the men volunteering for the ordained ministry in a period in which church growth was great. It was possible to make a beginning in Austin because the church had a lease on a residence near the University of Texas in which Bible classes were being taught by Rev. Gray M. Blandy, instructor at the Canterbury Bible Chair and chaplain of Episcopal students at the University of Texas. There were two other clergymen available to assist Blandy, Rev. Lawrence Brown, Bible Chair instructor at the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (now Texas A&M University) at College Station, and Rev. John M. Holt, vicar of the mission church at Mexia. Classes began September 1, 1951, under the auspices of the Austin Presbyterian Seminary. Blandy, who lived in Austin, was appointed dean, and the other faculty members arranged to commute to teach their classes. All three were present for the weekly Eucharist, at which they alternated as celebrants and preachers, with students taking part as readers or servers.
Two gifts strengthened the infant seminary. First, it received a bequest from the estate of Ann Laird of Kilgore and was thus able to add to the faculty. Second, the library of the former De Lancy Divinity School of Buffalo, New York, was given to the seminary by Bishop Laurisand L. Scaife of the Diocese of Western New York. The De Lancy Divinity School was no longer active and its library no longer in use. It contained a collection of English sources now out of print and hard to replace.
The seminary received a charter from the state of Texas in 1951 and was recognized as an agency of the Diocese of Texas in January of 1952. At the same time it was recognized by two other dioceses in Texas, West Texas and Dallas, which had sent students to it and shared in its board of trustees. Its title, "of the Southwest," reflected this.
The need for a campus was met by the donation of an Austin family, Dr. and Mrs. Ernest Villavaso and Frederick Duncalf, who, as a memorial for the Villavasos' son Ernest, donated a tract of five acres in the university neighborhood near Austin Presbyterian Seminary. The seminary retained the architectural firm Fehr and Granger to plan the campus. Of the proposed buildings two were begun in 1954, a two-story building with classrooms and faculty offices on one floor and the library on the second, and a dormitory for single students. The administration building, a connecting classroom and faculty office building, and the library were begun the next summer. Services were continued at nearby All Saints' Chapel at first, then space was set apart in the library for temporary use as a chapel. Christ Chapel was built in 1960.
After Bishop Hines was elected presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church and resigned as chairman of the trustees, he was succeeded by Bishop E. H. Jones of West Texas. The following priests have served as dean of the school: T. Hudnal Harvey, Lawrence Brown, Gordon T. Charlton, Jr., and Durstan R. McDonald. The seminary confers the degrees of master of divinity, master of arts in religion, and master of arts in pastoral ministry, as well as certification in five programs. In 2000 the seminary had an enrollment of 113 students and a faculty of twelve.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Lawrence L. Brown, "Episcopal Theological Seminary of the Southwest," accessed May 04, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/iwe01.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles