PLAINS BAPTIST ASSEMBLY
PLAINS BAPTIST ASSEMBLY. The Plains Baptist Assembly was established by District Nine of the Caprock-Plains Baptist churches in 1948 as a recreational retreat for area churches. The camp, located in Rio Blanco Canyon ten miles south of Floydada in southern Floyd County, originally encompassed seventy-two acres. Early buildings included a tabernacle, a cafeteria, Women's Missionary Union hall, and numerous cabins, many owned by individual area churches. In 1950 a swimming pool was added. In 1986 the site had 160 acres and sixty-five buildings. An auditorium and dining hall had replaced the original tabernacle and cafeteria, and a $250,000 conference center was completed in 1984. The camp was owned by the Caprock, Staked Plains, Llanos Altos, South Plains, and Lubbock associations and was governed by a twenty-four-member board of directors appointed for varied terms. The camp is active year-round with continuous programs in the summer and on weekends during the other seasons. Enrollment for the camp has averaged around 7,500 in recent years.
Floyd County Historical Museum, History of Floyd County, 1876–1979 (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "PLAINS BAPTIST ASSEMBLY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ivp01), accessed April 21, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.