ST. MARY'S CHURCH, VICTORIA
ST. MARY'S CHURCH, VICTORIA. St. Mary's Church in Victoria, originally founded in 1824, became, upon its reestablishment in 1840, the first Catholic parish to be established canonically in the Republic of Texas. St. Mary's parish is the second oldest Catholic parish in Texas, the oldest being that served by San Fernando Cathedral in San Antonio. When Martín De León founded his colony in October 1824 one of his first acts was to build a Catholic church on the main square of the settlement that became Victoria. The building, made of hand-hewn logs, was just east of the site of the present city hall. It was completed in 1830 and dedicated, like the town, to the Virgin of Guadalupe. The church had no resident priest; Mass was offered when priests from the mission at La Bahía were able to be present.
After the defeat of Antonio López de Santa Anna at San Jacinto in 1836, almost all the original Victoria families had to flee to Mexico for safety. For the next four years the chapel was used for various purposes-as a barracks, a courthouse, and a Presbyterian church. On July 12, 1840, Jean Marie Odin and three other Vincentian priests, commissioned to reorganize the church in the Republic of Texas, arrived in Linnville. In Victoria Odin installed one of his colleagues, Eudaldus Estany, C.M. (see VINCENTIAN FATHERS), as the first resident pastor of the Chapel of Our Lady of Guadalupe. The first wedding in the reclaimed chapel took place on July 29, 1840, and the first baptism the next day. The first name of the chapel eventually fell into disuse, and in time the parish became known simply as St. Mary's.
Under the effective leadership of Augustine Gardet, who arrived in 1856, the parish built a new brick church in 1863 at the corner of Bridge and Church streets on property given by Patricia de la Garza De León. Father Gardet brought the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament from Brownsville to Victoria in 1866 and gave them his own house at Main and Church streets for their convent and girls' school (see NAZARETH ACADEMY). He founded St. Joseph's school for boys in 1868 and in 1880 expanded it to include a seminary, where several Texas priests received their education. The present St. Mary's Church, at the corner of Main and Church streets, was begun in 1902 and dedicated in 1904. The impressive neo-Gothic structure was designated a Texas historical landmark in 1964. Monsignor F. O. Beck, who served as pastor from 1941 until his retirement in 1967, remodeled the church in 1954, and the present parish rectory was built in 1959.
St. Mary's Parish Communicator, July 8, 1973.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Loretto Carruth, "ST. MARY'S CHURCH, VICTORIA," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ics09), accessed May 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.