GRADY SCHOOL COMMUNITY, TX
GRADY SCHOOL COMMUNITY, TEXAS. The Grady school community, on Farm Road 829 in central Martin County, was named for Grady Standefer, from whom the land for the school was purchased. Grady was established as a rural school district in 1930 and became an independent school district in 1950 when the schools of South Plains, Lenorah, and Valley View were consolidated with it. In 1973 Grady gained a high school with classes up to the eleventh grade, and in 1975 a twelfth grade was added. During the 1980s and 1990s the R. K. Petroleum Company maintained a pipe yard and office west of the Grady school. In 1992 the Grady school reported an attendance of 216 students in grades kindergarten through twelve. A district office was maintained in nearby Lenorah.
Vernen Liles, Pioneering on the Plains: The History of Martin County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1953). Martin County Historical Commission, Martin County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Noel Wiggins, "GRADY SCHOOL COMMUNITY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hwg02), accessed October 08, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.