COTLAND, TEXAS. Cotland was a post office in west central Newton County. It was started in 1850, presumably near the plantation of Thomas Stuart McFarland, who sold his San Augustine County home (also called Cotland) to Jacob Garrett in 1838 and moved to what was to become Newton County. After first settling at Belgrade, he relocated near the site of Bleakwood. The Cotland post office served Newton County residents until 1860. Bleakwood was granted a post office seven years later.
Newton County Historical Commission, Crosscuts: An Anthology of Memoirs of Newton County Folk (Austin: Eakin, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "COTLAND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hwc05), accessed April 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.