WHITE ROCK, TX (FANNIN COUNTY)
WHITE ROCK, TEXAS (Fannin County). White Rock (Whiterock) was between State highways 11 and 78 two miles off Farm Road 1553 and seven miles south of Bonham in Fannin County. It was named for a local limestone that turns a brilliant white when exposed to sunlight. The wagon train of James Fowler Biggers, from Marshall County, Mississippi, reached the area in 1871. The plentiful timber provided log homes, and a large log building housed the first organized church there. It was a Primitive Baptist church, and James Biggers served as lay pastor in the absence of the circuit preacher, while Kinchen Gray led the singing. This building also served for a time as the school, where local children attended classes in a six-month term. The school still had students enrolled in 1904. Attendance averaged forty to fifty pupils, and funding to pay the teacher, purchase school supplies, and provide a few books was met at the rate of $5.30 a pupil for the term. In 1879 the land with the church and school, and adjacent to the cemetery, was deeded to Fannin County by Thomas F. and Sarah Cobb Freeman to be held in trust for the use of the school and the cemetery. The White Rock community was never heavily settled, though at one time it had the Freeman Gin, a blacksmith shop, and a general store, as well as the church, school, and cemetery. In 1948 the community included a school building, the cemetery, and a few scattered dwellings. During the 1980s an open-air tabernacle served the cemetery; in 1982 it was the meeting place for the dedication of a Texas Historical Commission marker placed in memory of James Fowler Biggers. By 1984 more than 400 graves had been identified in an inventory of the cemetery, which was still in use in the late 1980s. In 1990 only the cemetery and a mound of rocks marking the location of the Freeman Gin remained.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Betty Biggers Shannon, "White Rock, TX (Fannin County)," accessed May 29, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvw98.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles