WYATT, TEXAS. Wyatt was located on U.S. Highway 67 five miles southwest of Midlothian in Ellis County, one mile east of the Johnson county line. Early settlers in the area were E. K. Ward and J. F. Burks. The center of the community was a wooden structure built in 1884 which served as a school, a church, and a lodge. This building later burned. The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe reached Wyatt in 1887. A store and a gin operated in the town, and a post office delivered mail from 1888 until 1906. In 1895 Wyatt reported a church, a school, six businesses, and a population of 100. Highway maps in 1948 indicated a church, a school, several businesses, and scattered rural dwellings at the site.
Edna Davis Hawkins et al., History of Ellis County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jeffrey Pilchiek, "WYATT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvw73), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.