WOOSTER, TEXAS. Wooster, on Scott Bay in eastern Harris County, was settled in 1891 by Quincy Adams Wooster of Iowa and New England. The area was part of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colony, from which Wooster purchased over 1,000 acres, including the home built by William Scottqv shortly after the battle of San Jacinto. The community is located on land the Mexican government granted to Nathaniel Lynch, and the property abstract includes names such as Estevan (Stephen) F. Austin and David G. Burnet. Wooster intended to develop a town. For a while it was a stop on the Beaumont, Sour Lake and Western Railway. It received its mail from the Lynchburg post office until May 1894, when Wooster's post office opened. By October 1896 the town had its own school, originally part of Common School District No. 38. The post office was discontinued in 1914. Although Wooster was not an organized community, maps of the 1930s showed a church, a school, several businesses, and scattered dwellings. During World War II the community was the site of a camp for German prisoners of war. Many Wooster descendants still live in the community, which has become an incorporated portion of Baytown.
Marilyn M. Sibley, The Port of Houston (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1968).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Trevia Wooster Beverly, "WOOSTER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvw68), accessed May 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.