WOODMYER, TEXAS. Woodmyer was near Armstrong Lake and the Sabine River sixty-five miles northeast of Beaumont in east central Newton County. The site was used by the Kirby Lumber Company as a logging camp and mill in 1911 and was named for foreman J. F. Woods and general manager C. P. Myer. A post office was secured in 1913, with Thomas H. Hext serving as first postmaster. A school briefly operated at Woodmyer, which had a peak population of 750. However, as local timber was cut out, the facilities were moved elsewhere. The post office was discontinued in 1916. By 1918 the site had been virtually abandoned.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "WOODMYER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvw66), accessed July 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.