TURKEY CREEK, TX (WASHINGTON COUNTY)
TURKEY CREEK, TEXAS (Washington County). Turkey Creek was six miles east of the site of Brenham in central Washington County, within two miles of the county center. In 1840 the Guyton family gave the community its name. Turkey Creek was one of four rival settlements in the 1844 county seat election. The community flourished during the 1840s but rapidly declined after Brenham became the permanent county seat. At present the site of Turkey Creek is farmland, and no trace of the settlement exists.
W. O. Dietrich, The Blazing Story of Washington County (Brenham, Texas: Banner Press, 1950; rev. ed., Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1973). Mrs. R. E. Pennington, History of Brenham and Washington County (Houston, 1915).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carole E. Christian, "TURKEY CREEK, TX (WASHINGTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvt70), accessed May 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.