STUART PLACE, TX
STUART PLACE, TEXAS. Stuart Place is on U.S. Highway 83 three miles northeast of La Feria and four miles west of Harlingen in western Cameron County. The St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway first completed a line through the area on June 12, 1904. The site was settled during the 1920s, when Robert Ferry Stuart, a land developer originally from Kaufman County, bought 11,122 acres and named the community for himself and his brother, C. E. The community never developed into the large commercial center envisioned by Stuart and did not appear on maps until 1956, when it consisted of scattered dwellings and a school. In the early 1990s Stuart Place was a dispersed rural community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "STUART PLACE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvsfe), accessed May 23, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.