SHAID'S CHAPEL, TX
SHAID'S CHAPEL, TEXAS. Shaid's Chapel, also known as Shaid's School, was a rural community eight miles southeast of Palestine and three miles northwest of the Alderbranch community in southeastern Anderson County. It was probably named for the family of local settler Marion Shaid. In 1897 the school had one teacher and served some thirty-eight pupils. By 1901 the school was also being used as a church and as a community center for meetings of a local literary society. That same year an additional structure, Shaid's Chapel, was built there. Though the town was not named on the 1936 county highway map, the school and the church were still at the site. By 1962, however, the community seems to have disappeared entirely.
Anderson County Herald, April 26, May 17, August 30, 1901.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "SHAID'S CHAPEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvsfd), accessed May 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.