SHADY GROVE, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)
SHADY GROVE, TEXAS (Hopkins County). Shady Grove was a farming community on Farm Road 2297 a mile west of Shooks Chapel and four miles south of Sulphur Springs in south central Hopkins County. A public school began operating there sometime before the mid-1880s, and in 1905 the community had two schools with a total enrollment of 123. A Baptist church was organized at Shady Grove in 1883 and met in the schoolhouse from 1883 until 1892, when a church building was erected. In the mid-1930s the community had the church, two schools, and a number of scattered houses. The schools were later consolidated with the Sulphur Springs school district, and by the mid-1960s only the church and a few farmhouses remained. By the 1980s the community was no longer shown on highway maps.
Florene Chapman Adams, Hopkins County and Our Heritage. (Sulphur Springs, Texas: 197-?).