SECOND CREEK, TX
SECOND CREEK, TEXAS. Second Creek is on the banks of Second Davidson Creek three miles south of Caldwell in central Burleson County. Settlement in the vicinity began in the late 1830s, when Hugh McKeen moved his family from New York to a tract of land on what was referred to as Second Creek, in the midst of the Blackland Prairie along the Old San Antonio Road. McKeen constructed a house and a gristmill on the creek. He was soon joined by his brother John, and the Second Creek community seems to have coalesced in the vicinity during the mid-nineteenth century. The Second Creek Church stood on the southern edge of the community during the mid-twentieth century. In 1966 the settlement reported a population of ten.
Malcolm H. Addison, Reminiscences of Burleson County, Texas (Caldwell, Texas, 1886; rpt., Caldwell: Caldwell Printing, 1971).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles Christopher Jackson, "SECOND CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs65), accessed April 18, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.