SCHWAB CITY, TX
SCHWAB CITY, TEXAS. Schwab City is at the junction of State Highway 146 and Farm Road 2665, seventy miles north of Houston in southwestern Polk County. The farming community, settled about 1880, was known variously as Crossroads, Munsonville, Roosevelt, and Ten-Mile Board until Dick Schwab discovered oil nearby. Although wells opened in 1933 yielded only moderate results, in 1939 discoveries at the Schwab field southeast of town proved among the largest in Polk County. Further discoveries in 1968 at the Schwab field and in 1981 at the South Schwab field also proved rich in both oil and natural gas. The community itself is just south of the Livingston oilfield.
A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "SCHWAB CITY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs56), accessed July 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.