SANTA CRUZ, TX (DUVAL COUNTY)
SANTA CRUZ, TEXAS (Duval County). Santa Cruz is on Farm Road 1329 and Los Olmos Creek, twenty-five miles south of San Diego in southeastern Duval County. It was named for the Santa Cruz de Concepción land grant. In 1906 a post office was established with Crescencio Leal as postmaster, and that year nineteen pupils attended the Santa Cruz school. Santa Cruz had a general store in 1914, and by the mid-1930s it consisted of three businesses and an estimated population of 100. In 1947 the town had one business. During the late 1960s the Santa Cruz school was consolidated into the Premont Independent School District. At that time the town consisted of scattered dwellings and two cemeteries. By 1990 the Santa Cruz and Gonzales cemeteries were all that remained of the community.