SAND GROVE, TX
SAND GROVE, TEXAS. Sand Grove is a small rural community five miles south of Milano and three miles southwest of State Highway 36 in southeastern Milam County. It was named for the local sandy soil. Sand Grove was a voting precinct in 1881, and in 1903 it had a two-teacher school with ninety-four students. The school was consolidated with the Milano Independent School District in 1931. A few scattered houses appeared on maps of the area in the 1940s, but by the 1980s only a church and a cemetery marked the site.
Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Milam County Heritage Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "SAND GROVE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs27), accessed May 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.