SANBORN, TEXAS. Sanborn, in western Grayson County, was named for Henry B. Sanborn, an agent for and the son-in-law of J. F. Glidden, the inventor of barbed wire. In 1875 Sanborn purchased a 35,000-acre ranch east of Whitesboro. He is credited with introducing from this ranch both barbed wire and improved Hereford cattle into the area. The ranch and the homes around it made up the Sanborn community, which never had a post office and apparently did not ever develop into more than an isolated ranch settlement. It probably died out before 1900.
Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "SANBORN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvs24), accessed April 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.