RUFF, TEXAS. Ruff was a farming community three miles from Ridgeway near Branom in western Hopkins County. A post office was established there in 1899 but closed in 1905. The community was never very large, and by the mid-1930s it was no longer shown on county highway maps. In 1948 it had a voting box at the Branom school. By the early 1960s only a few scattered houses remained at Ruff. No population estimates are available.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.J. E. Jennings, "RUFF, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvr74), accessed May 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.