ROSWELL, TEXAS. Roswell was near Smith Bend fifteen miles northeast of Valley Mills and twenty-three miles northwest of Waco in southeastern Bosque County. Gip Smith constructed a general store and cottonseed mill at Roswell in 1902. He was also responsible for the establishment of the post office, which operated from 1902 to 1930. The estimated population of Roswell, twenty-five in 1925, rose to approximately fifty in 1945. No population figures have been recorded for Roswell since 1966, when the recorded population was fifty. By the 1980s the community was no longer listed by the State Department of Highways and Public Transportation.
Bosque County History Book Committee, Bosque County, Land and People (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Karen Yancy, "ROSWELL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvr68), accessed May 23, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.