PINEY, TX (TITUS COUNTY)
PINEY, TEXAS (Titus County). Piney, in northern Titus County eight miles north of Mount Pleasant, was originally a black church and school community started after the Civil War. The first settlers in the area were the families of Henry Steward, Joe Cooper, Louis Gipson, Judge Nelson, and Pap Sharell. By 1932 the school had been consolidated with another district, and in 1984 Piney had a church, a cemetery, and scattered houses. No further information about the community was available.
Traylor Russell, History of Titus County (2 vols., Waco: Morrison, 1965, 1966; rpt., n.p.: Walsworth, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "PINEY, TX (TITUS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvpag), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.