POWELLDALE, TEXAS. Powelldale (Powell Dale) was near the Powelldale Mountains 5½ miles east of Morgan in northeastern Bosque County. The settlement originated when Green Powell purchased land in northeastern Bosque County; the community eventually grew to include a flour mill, cotton gin, general store, post office, church, and school. Its post office opened in 1873 but was discontinued in 1881. When the Santa Fe line built track through Kopperl, many Powelldale citizens moved there. Lake Whitney covers much of the old townsite.
Bosque County History Book Committee, Bosque County, Land and People (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Karen Yancy, "POWELLDALE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvpab), accessed May 23, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.