PULASKI, TEXAS. Pulaski, situated on a bluff on the east bank of the Sabine River nine miles east of Carthage, served as the seat for two counties, first as the temporary seat of Harrison County in 1841 and then as the seat of Panola County in 1846. The area was first settled in the late 1830s. By the early 1840s a small village began to grow up, and a post office was established in 1847. When Panola County was established in 1846, Pulaski, then the largest settlement on the eastern bank of the Sabine, was designated temporary county seat. Heated opposition led by Samuel M. Perry forced the commissioners to approve a second election to determine a permanent site. The choice of a permanent county seat became the county's biggest political issue during the next years, until the county electorate in a general election of July 1848 selected the then undeveloped area of Carthage as the permanent county seat. After 1848 Pulaski declined, and the 1850 census reported a population of only thirty-three. The post office closed in 1867, and by 1900 the community was a ghost town.
History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Carthage Circulating Book Club, 1935?). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin. Lawrence R. Sharp, History of Panola County, Texas, to 1860 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."PULASKI, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp89), accessed July 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.