PLEASANT MOUND, TX
PLEASANT MOUND, TEXAS. Pleasant Mound (Pleasant Mount) was at the site of the present intersection of Loop 12 and State Highway 352 in eastern Dallas County. The area was settled sometime in the 1840s by such families as the McCoys, Blairs, Carvers, and Brutons. By 1842 the construction of Pleasant Mound's Methodist church, one of the earliest in the county, was completed. In the 1860s cattle production was a primary interest in the area. The community was reportedly named by Myra Maybelle (Belle) Starrqv after her father's farm in Missouri. In 1928 Pleasant Mound had eight households, and Jess Ponder built a cafe and gasoline station in the area. The community grew from five residents and one business in 1930 to 125 residents and five businesses by 1940. Due to the eastward growth of Dallas in the late 1940s, the area experienced a housing boom. Pleasant Mound had a population of 800 in 1950, the year it was annexed by Dallas.
Dallas Morning News, February 7, 1944, December 14, 1947.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Matthew Hayes Nall, "PLEASANT MOUND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp62), accessed June 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.