PISEK, TEXAS. Pisek is a rural community with indefinite boundaries on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad in the northern point of Colorado County, three miles from both the Austin and Fayette county lines. Until 1887 the town was located at the site of current Lone Oak, and its two stores served the German and Czech farmers of the area. When the Missouri, Kansas and Texas completed its line from Denison to Boggy Tank and built a turntable there, the town, with its stores, moved one mile to the tracks. The railroad called the site Sandy Point, but the name Pisek stuck. By 1896 the community became a shipping center and had a post office and saloon, in addition to the stores and a cottonseed warehouse. The post office closed in 1907, and mail was delivered from Fayetteville in Fayette County. Improved road conditions, the completion of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas to Houston, and the removal of the turntable caused a gradual shift of the population back toward the original center of the community. In 1941 the last remaining store moved back to the original location, which, by that time, had taken the name of Lone Oak, and Pisek ceased to exist as a community center.
Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book (La Grange, Texas: Hengst Printing, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jeff Carroll, "PISEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp50), accessed July 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.