PINE VALLEY, TX (WALKER COUNTY)
PINE VALLEY, TEXAS (Walker County). Pine Valley is at the junction of Four Notch Road and the Missouri-Pacific Railroad, seven miles southeast of Huntsville in southeastern Walker County. It had at various times a cotton gin, several stores, and a gristmill. A post office operated there from 1892 until 1919. In addition, the area supported lumbering activities and sawmill operations. In 1896 two stores, a sawmill, and a population of 150 were reported by the Texas State Gazetteer. By 1914 the population had risen to 200. A school, completed in 1916, drew students from Pine Valley and the surrounding settlements of Barado, Black Jack, Boswell, and Shepherd's Bottom. At the close of World War II only a church and a school remained at the site. In 1991 the town was no longer noted on county maps or in the Texas Almanac.
Walker County Genealogical Society and Walker County Historical Commission, Walker County (Dallas, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.James L. Hailey, "PINE VALLEY, TX (WALKER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp47), accessed October 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.