PENDLETON, TX (SABINE COUNTY)
PENDLETON, TEXAS (Sabine County). Pendleton was ten miles northeast of Hemphill in northeastern Sabine County. The townsite was laid out in 1837 by Thomas S. McFarland at the request of James Gaines, who operated Gaines Ferry, originally called Paso del Chalan when it was established in 1795. Gaines named the community Pendleton, a family name of his. The town apparently flourished during the antebellum period; it became an important port of entry during the republic. During the postbellum period, changes in transportation caused the settlement to decline. By the 1890s Pendleton had an estimated population of fifty and one general store. When State Highway 21 was constructed through the county in 1937 a bridge was built across the Sabine, and the ferry was discontinued. By the 1940s the population of Pendleton had fallen to fifteen, and by the 1970s t community had ceased to exist.
Robert Cecil McDaniel, Sabine County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1987). Edna McDaniel White and Blanche Findley Toole, Sabine County Historical Sketches and Genealogical Records (Beaumont, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "PENDLETON, TX (SABINE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp34), accessed November 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles