PEACH TREE, TX (JASPER COUNTY)
PEACH TREE, TEXAS (Jasper County). Peach Tree is at the junction of State Highway 63 and Farm Road 254, six miles west of Jasper and seventy-three miles north of Beaumont in northern Jasper County. Early settlers who came to the area before the Civil War named their community for the wild peach trees they found nearby. The fertile land proved attractive, and Ramsey C. Armstrong, Sr., opened a private school called the Peach Tree Academy about 1870 on a branch of Lewis Creek. At the time 100 persons lived at Peach Tree, which also had a store, a gristmill, and a post office from 1872 to 1890. A few scattered farmhouses and a church still mark the little community.
James M. McReynolds, A History of Jasper County, Texas, Prior to 1874 (M.A. thesis, Lamar State College of Technology, 1968).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "PEACH TREE, TX (JASPER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp25), accessed November 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles