PASTURA, TEXAS. Pastura was in northwestern Jones County on what was the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. The small settlement evolved around 1880 and was named by local ranchers for the good pasturelands there. The village became a stop on the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway and by the early 1900s had a store and a population of twenty. A post office, granted on October 6, 1911, was active until it was moved to Hamlin on February 28, 1914. Early residents included store owner Austin C. Rose and postmaster Martin J. Olson. Pastura still existed in the 1940s but was gone from county maps by the mid-1950s. No indication of the former settlement is given on 1980 county maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "PASTURA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvp15), accessed April 19, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on January 23, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.