OVERBY, TEXAS. Overby, located near the head of Live Oak Creek on Farm Road 743 in southern Karnes County, was first settled by Charles Overby, who bought a large tract of land and rented it to a number of cotton farmers. In 1908 he built a store, and a post office operated until 1910, when records were sent to Kenedy. A school was also built. As late as 1947 maps indicated a school and scattered rural dwellings. In 1990 only the place name remained.
Robert H. Thonhoff, History of Karnes County (M.A. thesis, Southwest Texas State College, 1963).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert H. Thonhoff, "OVERBY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvont), accessed April 19, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.