OSAGE, TX (COLORADO COUNTY)
OSAGE, TEXAS (Colorado County). Osage is on the north and middle forks of Harvey Creek, four miles northeast of Weimar in northwest Colorado County. Much of the land was originally included in grants to Henry Austin, a cousin of Stephen F. Austin. Settlement along Harvey Creek began in 1851 with the arrival of the Tom Hubbard family from Mississippi. In 1855 they were joined by a thirty-six-wagon caravan that brought many other families of Scottish, English, and Irish extraction from the Laurel, Mississippi, area. In 1856, after the first homes were built and the first crops harvested, Dr. Samuel D. McLeary named the new community Osage, for the luxuriant growth of bois d'arc, or osage orange, trees in the area.
During the Civil War Osage and other communities along Harvey Creek furnished most of the men and horses for Company A, Fifth Texas Cavalry, Confederate States of America. A Confederate post office was established in 1862, and the community had several stores, a blacksmith shop, a gin, and many substantial homes. Osage was the site of a school established by E. B. Carruth in 1874. A student later praised the school's curriculum as "the best selected of any I have ever known. It included Webster's Blue Back Spelling Book, all of the McGuffey Readers, history, geography, grammer, rhetoric, elementary and higher mathematics and Latin." Students came from a 100-mile radius and boarded with families in the area.
In 1873 when the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway built west from Columbus, Weimar was founded about four miles southwest of Osage, and business moved to the railroad. By 1900 all business was gone. As of the mid-1980s Osage consisted of many small farms and grazing operations and the homes of a few people who worked in town but preferred rural living.
Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book (La Grange, Texas: Hengst Printing, 1986). Mary Hinton, Weimar, Texas: First 100 Years, 1873–1973 (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1973).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Jeff Carroll, "Osage, TX (Colorado County)," accessed February 12, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvo37.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles