OAK ISLAND, TX (BEXAR COUNTY)
OAK ISLAND, TEXAS (Bexar County). Oak Island was on the Medina River off State Highway 16, fifteen miles south of downtown San Antonio in southern Bexar County. The town was the site of a Presbyterian church founded by J. Limber in 1847. This church was abandoned in 1875, when many Oak Island residents moved to Mexia, but in 1878 John Wesley DeVilbiss established a Methodist mission church there. In the late 1940s a church and a school were still at the site, but in the 1960s Oak Island was no longer shown on maps. More recently, however, the community has begun to increase in population again. The Oak Island United Methodist Church was still in operation in 1999, though the school had closed.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Minnie B. Cameron, "OAK ISLAND, TX (BEXAR COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvo04), accessed May 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.