NEW HOPE, TX (SAN JACINTO COUNTY)
NEW HOPE, TEXAS (San Jacinto County). New Hope is on Farm Road 2025 fifty miles north of Houston in extreme southern San Jacinto County. The community was given the name New Hope by Wilken Howard, although it was also known as Brown School Settlement after R. T. Brown, who moved to the area from Hill County in 1875. Residents of the little community went to Cleveland for most of their services, and an abandoned railroad tram line from that Liberty County town north through the New Hope area indicates that logging was once an important part of the region's economy. The New Hope church still marks the settlement, and several new buildings have been constructed since the late 1950s.
Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "NEW HOPE, TX (SAN JACINTO COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvn25), accessed October 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.