MYRTLE SPRINGS, TX (CAMP COUNTY)
MYRTLE SPRINGS, TEXAS (Camp County). Myrtle Springs is on Farm Road 2455 nine miles southwest of Pittsburg in southwestern Camp County. The focus of the community was a black church and school organized during the 1880s. In 1897 the one-teacher, ungraded school served a scholastic population of forty-five black children. The community was rural and agricultural, and as the rural population of the county began to decline in the 1930s, the population of Myrtle Springs apparently declined also. By 1935 the school had been consolidated with a neighboring district, and by 1955 all the schools in the area had been consolidated with the Pittsburg Independent School District. In 1983 Myrtle Springs had a church and a few widely scattered houses.
Hollie Max Cummings, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Camp County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937). Artemesia L. B. Spencer, The Camp County Story (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "MYRTLE SPRINGS, TX (CAMP COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvmcc), accessed May 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.