MCCRAVEN, TEXAS. McCraven, a former community in northeastern Washington County, derived its name from its first postmaster, R. McCraven. In 1892 the town had several mills and a general store. With the decline of neighboring Lott, McCraven obtained a United States post office, on March 12, 1890. Lott R. Whiting was postmaster from February 1891 until December 1906, when Cordelia N. Whitmore became postmistress. McCraven's post office closed on April 30, 1908.
Henry Gannett, A Gazetteer of Texas (U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 190, Series F, Washington: GPO, 1902; 2d ed., U.S.G.S. Bulletin 224, 1904).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carole E. Christian, "MCCRAVEN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvmby), accessed August 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.