MOUNT VERNON, TX (HOUSTON COUNTY)
MOUNT VERNON, TEXAS (Houston County). Mount Vernon was a farming community four miles east of Ratcliff off State Highway 7 in eastern Houston County. It was first settled in the late 1840s by Thomas Jefferson Payne and his wife Nancy Warren Payne. In the 1870s their son Henry Warren Payne built a school that also served for many years as a church. The building burned around 1883; residents constructed a new building a short time later and named it Mount Vernon. In the mid-1930s the settlement had a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II many of its residents moved away, but in the early 1990s the area still had a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses.
Houston County Cemeteries (Crockett, Texas: Houston County Historical Commission, 1977; 3d ed. 1987). Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Eliza H. Bishop, "MOUNT VERNON, TX (HOUSTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvmbj), accessed April 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.