MYRTLE, TEXAS. Myrtle, originally known as Myrtle Turf, was two miles south of Houston in what became the Pierce Junction oilfield in southern Harris County. A Myrtle Turf post office operated from 1839 to 1843. The community reported a population of 153 in 1940, when it was on the International and Great Northern line. By the 1980s only scattered dwellings remained at the townsite.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "MYRTLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvmbh), accessed October 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.