MYERS, TEXAS. Myers is an agricultural community on the west bank of the Brazos River four miles northeast of Snook in extreme eastern Burleson County. Anglo-American settlement in the area began in the mid-1820s. The town itself was founded in the late 1800s at the western end of Jones Ferry, amid the rich red alluvial soils of the Brazos bottoms. A number of Italian immigrants settled in the vicinity in the early 1890s. The community, originally named Pelham, was renamed Myers when Joseph Allen Myers, postmaster of Bryan, Texas, submitted a formal request to establish a post office at the site. The post office operated there from 1891 to 1916. In 1892 the Jones Bridge was built nearby on the site of Jones Ferry and has remained in use since, despite damage from floods in 1913, 1921, and 1926. In 1910 a thirty-mile-long levee was constructed along the river to prevent periodic flooding, but it was virtually destroyed in the deluge of 1913. Farm Road 60, the first paved road in eastern Burleson County, was extended through the community across Jones Bridge in 1942. The Pleasant Grove Church is on the southwestern edge of the township. In 1936 the population of the community was estimated at 100, with one rated business; these figures remained unchanged in 1947. Thereafter no further population statistics were available.
Glenna Fourman Brundidge, Brazos County History: Rich Past-Bright Future (Bryan, Texas: Family History Foundation, 1986). Burleson County Historical Society, Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980).