MCKENZIE, TEXAS. McKenzie was on what is now State Highway 208 in extreme southeast Mitchell County, three miles north of the Coke county line. The settlement was named for F. S. McKenzie, who donated land for a school in 1908, and was largely abandoned after the school was consolidated with that of Colorado City about 1934. By 1966 only a cemetery remained at the location.
Mattie C. Hines, "The History of Mitchell County Education," in Lore and Legend: A Compilation of Documents Depicting the History of Colorado City and Mitchell County, Vol. 1., ed. Mac B. McKinnon (Colorado City, Texas: Colorado City Record, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "MCKENZIE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvm62), accessed July 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.