MCCURLEY, TEXAS. McCurley was two miles southeast of the town of Lake Dallas in Denton County. It was named for the McCurley brothers, who settled there in the 1850s. A school district probably existed as early as the 1880s. In 1936 McCurley had a rural school and a separate school for blacks. The community was submerged by the waters of Lewisville Lake in the 1950s. In 1984 a Texas Historical Commission marker for the McCurley Cemetery was placed in nearby Lewisville.
Mary Jo Cowling, Geography of Denton County (Dallas: Banks, Upshaw, 1936). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Randolph B. Campbell, "MCCURLEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvm56), accessed April 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.