MASTERSVILLE, TEXAS. Mastersville was seventeen miles southwest of Waco in southern McLennan County. The area was settled prior to the Civil War. A post office was established there in February 1868 with Mollie Rutherford as postmistress. In the early 1880s the community had a flour mill, two steam cotton gins, a general store, two groceries, two churches, a school, and 250 residents. The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad bypassed Mastersville in 1882 and established the town of Bruceville two miles to the south. Many residents and business owners moved to the new town, and Mastersville faded. The post office was discontinued in 1887 and relocated in Bruceville. No evidence of Mastersville appeared on county highway maps by the 1930s.
William Robert Poage, McLennan County Before 1980 (Waco: Texian, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "MASTERSVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvm47), accessed October 10, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.