LOST CREEK, TX (MCCULLOCH COUNTY)
LOST CREEK, TEXAS (McCulloch County). The Lost Creek community grew up near the mouth of Lost Creek a few miles east of Voca in southeastern McCulloch County. The John Bomar family settled there in 1859, and several other families joined them in the 1860s. The first school in McCulloch County was probably the Vernon school, established in the Lost Creek area about 1865. Some evidence suggests that early county government activities took place at Lost Creek when McCulloch County was partly organized in the early 1860s. When Brady was made county seat in 1876, Lost Creek lost its previous importance, and few incoming settlers chose to reside there. No evidence of the Lost Creek community appears on county highway maps.
Wayne Spiller, comp., Handbook of McCulloch County History (Vol. 1, Seagraves, Texas: Pioneer, 1976; vol. 2, Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains Press, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "LOST CREEK, TX (MCCULLOCH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvlav), accessed May 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.